It was also a cleaning weekend. Things got put away from the numerous camping trips. Basement got straightened and things were purged (excellent!). I vacumed, dusted, went through the stack of mail, paid bills, did dishes and even cleaned the carpets (really needed that!). I was doing laundry and was saddened by the state of my knitted dish cloths and decided to knit up some more.
I have a pattern from my grandma that she called Garter and Lace and it is what I have always used for my discloths.
The pattern calls for Sugar and Cream 100% cotton, and 1 skein will make 2 cloths.
Cast on 35 stitches on #8 needles
Work rows 1-6 in garter stitch
Row 7-10: knit 3 stitches *yo knit 2 together* repeat across the row and end by knitting 2 stitches. Repeat these 10 rows 5 more times and cast off.
I used a skein of Lion's Brand 100% cotton worsted weight in Sage, that I picked up on sale. It knitted up beautifully and made 3 dishcloths, with a little to spare.
My mom has a dishcloth that I always liked and it is knit on the diagonal with a nifty edge. My great aunt made it and I decided to figure out the pattern this weekend. It turned out ok, but I wasn't 100% thrilled with it. Doing a quick search this morning I found a pattern and I'm going to try again tonight!
I think I will be purchasing a couple 1 pound spool of Sugar and Cream for more dishcloths for the holidays.