Monday, March 17, 2008

Washing up

I finished the Cardigan for Merry Sunday night. The yarn held out to the very last inch, unbelievable. I only had enough to make 2 loops instead of 3, but I don't think that will be a hardship. Everything was washed today and laid out to dry. Now to buy some buttons and sew them on. I hope I can hand it over on Wednesday.




I also washed the silk stockings. The water turned a light pink, but not bad. I should be able to put them in the mail to the recipient before the end of the week. I hope to mail it on Thursday. It will be sad to see them go, but now I will be inspired to start pair number 2.




I began a pair of stockings for Liz and another baby sweater over the weekend.

3 comments:

Jonya said...

So I look at this wonderful work and I am having a moment of envy. This is so nice. What did they wear for socks in Ireland, 1050ish? Do you know or should I go do the research? Had knitting reached this area?

Liz said...

I don't have evidence for knitting in Ireland in the 11th c. The earliest reference for knitting in England is 14th c. and it is not considered a major industry until the 16th. c. I would assume that knitting would have reached Ireland by the 16th c.

1050 Ireland? I would suspect either sewn hose or feet wrapped with strips of wool. Not positive which. I have not done research into that time period or area.

Jonya said...

I didn't think so. Thanks though. It really was an overwhelming moment of 'want' and not just the socks but the skill, too.