Friday, January 19, 2007

The 'Artist' formerly known as...



I think 25 people in all ended up at Mosaic on a Stick. Mostly SCA folks but my cousins came as well as one of P's former work mates. I think everyone had a good time and enjoyed looking around the space. It is a lovely place! Cudos to Lori and Maria for convincing P to take them up on their offer to host the gathering. It was a grand time and they are fabulous!

Here is the finished piece in all of her glory! It measures 2' x 2' and the tiles are less than a 1/4" square. P estimates that there are 5,000 hand cut tiles in this piece. The Griffin is taken from a group of beasts depicted in a 13th c. mosaic in Italy. The compass roses in the border are a Northshield touch.



Other photos from the evening and some work in progress shots of the Griffin can be seen in my photobucket account.

2 comments:

ecb said...

That's really wonderful. He's very talented. I'd like to learn to do that, someday.

Gwyneth said...

How wonderful. That is incredible-it really takes my breath away.

Wow - thanks for sharing.