Monday, January 15, 2007

Fitness year

I signed up for the Discovery Channel's National Body Challenge. I received my 8 week coupon for Bally's Fitness and went yesterday for my first appointment. I warmed up on the tread mill for 10 minutes, stretched out and did a few minutes of pilates and then spent 20 minutes on the elliptical (plus 5 more for the cool down) and finished out with a cool down on the treadmill for 10 minutes. Finished everything off with some stretching. I feel like I worked out today, but I'm not in pain or completely worn out. I feel like I slept really well last night. I was pleased with my heart rate, it stayed in the proper range for a good cardio workout.

I'm still trying to figure out which nights will be workout nights. So far I have Sunday and Tuesday for sure and possibly Thursday before knitting. If I'm not going to an event I can easily add in Friday or Saturday, but I want to set up some type of consistant schedule. I would be happy if I lost 10 pounds, but I'm more interested in toning my body and I would rather replace 10 pounds of fat with 10 pounds of muscle. I really want to trim down my waist.

Bally's has a promotion for coupon holders to get us to sign up for a membership. I'm not sure how long I have to make a decision before the sweet offer goes away. I've done the gym membership in the past and it's never worked out. I get busy one week and can't go and my whole routine goes out the window. Inevitably it is a waste of money for me. It would probably be cheaper for me to by a used elliptical at 2nd Wind and make monthly payments on that. A monthly payment with free financing charge would be cheaper than a gym membership and both P and I could use it.

3 comments:

Angie Niezgocki said...

You go girl!

K said...

The Exercise Guys on 35 at the exit for 97 have way better equipment for decent prices. If P is going to use it too you will need one the can handle his 'mass', most that are sold at 2nd wind are only rated up to 200-250 pounds. L is way more comfortable on the one we got, rated for 350lb and nice and solid and I use it all the time.

Liz said...

Thanks! The models I was looking at are rated to 300 and I really hope that P has not passed that. 350 may be a better choice.