Friday, December 26, 2008

Hanging Garden stole

airplane knitting

I started this lace project the day before leaving for New York and this photo shows it in progress on the flight home. As of Christmas Day I had completed 5 1/2 repeats of the pattern and had started the second skein of lace weight yarn. Knit Picks Gloss lace weight in Cypress. If the second skein holds out like the first I should be able to complete 11 repeats of the pattern. Technically I should complete 12 repeats, but I'm wondering if 11 will be long enough.

I have not worked on a lace project since Icarus and I'm just loving how this is turning out. I would highly recommend Sivia Harding's pattern for someone who is interested in working on their first lace project. The instructions are written out, but also includes a chart. The pattern consists of 47 rows that are repeated 12 times and every even row is knit plain. There is a garter edge that runs along the bottom and the sides. It does require attention and I find that using stitch markers to indicate the beginning and end of each repeat is a good thing.

No comments: