Friday, February 09, 2007

Presents!!!!

A friend of mine owns a company that sells goods imported from Morocco. He also provides guided tours of Morocco, which I would love to do some day.

He was the recipient of the second pair of Medieval Egyptian socks.
Rashid in his best "beefcake" pose.

He just returned to the US from his latest trip and informs me that he has a gift for me. Don't know when I will see him to get it, but I'm excited. He has fabulous taste!

I wonder what I can get for the Egyptian styled socks that I am working on for His Highness? LOL!




The all over construction of the sock is my own and I am incorporating decorative bands found on a sock fragment from Egypt dating between 1000-1200 CE that I charted from the book, History of Hand Knitting by Richard Rutt. The original fragment is knit in cotton, but I elected to use wool considering the very non-desert location of the recipient. I chose Lang Yarns Jawoll Superwash in black, red, white and yellow. It's a far more impressive palette than socks of this period, which were usually executed in blues and whites, but I wanted to do something a bit different. The black, gold and white band is repeated at the ankle and then the sock is knit in red until I get to the calf area where I will knit another decorative element that i charted from the fragment.
Just over a year ago I was taught to knit with more than one color, I have completed 3 very ambitious projects in that year (2 socks and the Baby fair isle ensemble) and now I have started stranded color worked socks of my own design. Thanks G2!

2 comments:

K said...

Very cool looking socks. I feel knitting, like lace making, is all somehow connected to magic.

Sarah O G said...

Okay woman you need to post a basic pattern for these, T really wants me to make him a pair.

thanks.