Friday, June 01, 2007

Market Bag, version 2


market bag
Originally uploaded by Valkyr8


I'm still playing with the pattern, but I'm really liking this version.

Knitted Market Bag
1 skein cotton yarn (Lion Brand or Sugar and Cream, or whatever you want)
Size 13 circular needles (16"-20" long)
large sewing needle for weaving in ends

Finished size is ~10" x 10" unstretched. It holds a surprising amount when filled. You can make it larger by using larger needles, adding more stitches to the circumference or increasing the # of row repeats. It's very versatile.

Cast on 15 stitches and knit garter stitch for 32 rows. Once you finish the bottom of the bag you will work the body of the bag in the round. Pick up 15 stitches on each of the 3 sides and knit across the 15 stitches on the needle, place a marker to mark the beginning of the row. Work in the round in garter stitch for 4 rows ending on a purl row. Then work the following pattern for 6 repeats.

Pattern:
Row 1: [Knit 2 together, yarn over] repeat to the end of the row
Row 2 and 4: Knit
Row 3: [yarn over, Knit 2 together] repeat to the end of the row

Once these 4 rows have been completed 6 times knit 4 rows of garter stitch ending on a purl row.

Make two handles as follows:
Knit 2 stitches, bind off 10 stitches, knit 20 stitches, bind off 10 stitches, knit to the end of the row. Knit 2 stitches, turn work and cast on 13 stitches using the cable cast on technique, turn work, knit 20 stitches, turn work and cast on 13 stitches using the cable cast on technique, turn work and knit to the end of the row. Knit one row. Bind off loosely.

The single handle is fine, but hard to shoove in large items because the top narrows. The two handles make adding new purchases more convienent.

16 comments:

Angie Niezgocki said...

Danka!

Anonymous said...

Giovanna-

This will be perfect for Thank you gifts. I'll use the 2-handle approach. It looks like it took a little more than 1 skein Sugar-n-spice, so I'll keep that in mind.
Thank you. It was great to meet you.

write to me : ellienc2AtyahooDotCom

Anonymous said...

About what size does this come out to be? Thanks!

carolyn said...

I love the market bag, did it only take 1 skein of sugar and cream.

Liz said...

It may take you a bit more than 1 skein. If you buy 3 skeins you can make 2 market bags easily.

Chandra the Crazed Quilter said...

Thanks for sharing your work!

My husband keeps stealing the store bought market bags for lunch sacks and then leaves them in his car. I figure I hold a small chance of him leaving ones I make for actual shopping use. Maybe I should make a bunch of these in pink...

beeJOYful said...

how difficult is this? I'm a somewhat beginner knitter (I've never tried circular needles before) but it looks super cute!!

Liz said...

It's not that difficult and if you make a mistake it's easy enough to rip out and start again without having wasted a large amount of time or material. i think this will challenge you with some new techniques (like the cable cast on) but it's within the grasp of a new knitter.

Anonymous said...

I love this. I am using a size 11 needle and would like the bag a little larger but I don't know to estimate the amount of stiches. Does it just need to be an odd number of sts? Write to me at,
horsebarn405@cox.net
Helen

Rachel Q said...

Love this bag! I just finished it yesterday and shared this pattern on my blog. I linked it back to you and your pattern! Thanks so much. http://trippingovertypeset.com/2013/07/11/summer-knitting-break-market-bag/

Unknown said...

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeats it. See the link the below for more info.


#repeats
www.ufgop.org

Anonymous said...

I cannot thank lemeridian funding service enough and letting people know how grateful I am for all the assistance that you and your team staff have provided and I look forward to recommending friends and family should they need financial advice or assistance @ 1,9% Rate for Business Loan .Via Contact : . lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com. WhatsApp...+ 19893943740. Keep up the great work.
Thanks, Busarakham.

Unknown said...

Has anyone else had a problem with the stitch count decreasing one you got to the yo k2t section? I have taken it out twice and came cross the same thing both times. Is this suppose to happen?
Thank you for your help!

bugged said...

I used cotton twine. 300 yds. its great, bigger than yours. thank you for sharing this pattern. really strong and sturdy. bought twine from the 99cent store. the handles are Great
you can use packaging twine as well..

bugged said...

sorry let me correct that... 180 feet. cotton twine. large market bag. nice and strong. from the 99 cent store. you can get strong twine at the home depot as well.. make a bunch and gift them to your friends. lets get rid of plastic bags.

bugged said...

sorry covid brain... 3 x 180 feet