Thursday, November 08, 2007

Chicken Soup

Last night I made chicken soup from scratch to help Tim win his battle with the cold that has taken hold of him. Also it makes the house all warm and humid, and smell good to boot.

I started with a whole chicken (about 5 lbs). Added approx 4 qrts of water (enough to cover), a whole onion peeled, 2 carrots cut large, 2 sticks of celery cut large, fresh sage, salt, whole pepper berries, bay leaves, parsley and tyme. I let the whole thing simmer while I went to the Nordskogen meeting. When I got home I removed the chicken and poured the stock into another pot through a seive to removed the veggies and spices.

I chopped 2 onions and 3 stalks of celery and sweated that in the soup pot with a bit of olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper, about 5 minutes. I added the stock back to the pot along with the shredded chicken, a bag of frozen baby carrots, more parsley. I added about 4 cups of water to increase the stock, but that's going to depend on whether you need to thin the stock or not. If you are worried about wattering down the stock you can add some organic chicken stock instead. I brought the soup back to a boil and added the no yolk egg noodles and let it cook for 8-10 minutes. I think it needed more salt, but I purposely left the salt content low for Tim.

On that note it's time to heat up my lunch. Chicken noodle soup naturally!

No comments: