Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Roman Socks

Shipped and on the way. The color is really washed out in the picture though. They are a much more vivid purple.

Yarn: Celestial Merino Dream (100% Merino) by Lucy Neatby, color Pansy

My completed socks were inspired by those held by the the Egyptian Global Museum. This example comes from the only Roman town founded in Egypt, Antinoopolis in Middle Egypt, dedicated to Hadrian's lover Antinous who died in the river at the site. My construction is not the same as the original as I knit the sock in one continuous piece and the orginal seems to consist of at least 3 pieces that are then stitched together. I started from the toe up and knit in the round on size 0 needles. The heel is a modified short row. The ankle is split (like the original) and I have added lacing to close up the gap. The top is bound off and the edge is left to roll down, as the original does.

2 comments:

ecb said...

Awesome socks.

Angie Niezgocki said...

So pretty! I love the color.