Saturday, August 25, 2007

Using up the stash

I'm trying to find uses for the leftover skeins of sock yarn. My solution is to knit baby and toddler socks. It takes longer than I would like, but you can't deny that they look pretty sweet.


This pattern is wicked easy for toddler socks, bonus I used up the remaining yarn from my Monkey Socks.

For the baby socks I'm using a pattern I adapted from a baby sock pattern by Skacel for use with Fortissima Fairisle yarn and leftovers from my Cascade Sassy Stripes yarn.

Size 0-6 months. Using size 1 US dp needles cast on 35 stitches.

K3 P2 for 1/2", change to stockinette and knit until the leg measures 1 1/2" from the beginning.
Divide the stitches for the heel flap thus: 16 stitches for the heel flap and 19 for the instep.

Work heel flap:
(RS) (Slip 1 K 1), repeat to end
(WS) Slip 1, purl 15
Repeat these 2 rows 7 times and then row 1 one more time.

Make heel cup.
(WS) Slip 1, P7, P2Tog, P1, turn
(RS) Slip 1, K1, K2Tog, K1, turn
(WS) Slip 1, P2, P2Tog, P1, turn
(RS) Slip 1, K3, K2Tog, K1, turn

Continue in this way until you have used up all of the stitches in the heel flap, you should have 8 stitches left. Finish on the right side and pick up 10 stitches on the heel flap. Work across 19 stitches of instep. Pick up 10 stitches on opposite side of heel flap and knit 4 stitches from heel cup. Your work will be divided on 3 needles. Needle 1: 14 stitches, Needle 2: 19 stitches, Needle 3: 14 stitches.

Make Gusset:
Row 1: K
Row 2: Knit to last 3 stitches on needle 1, K2Tog, K1, K 19, K1, SSK, K to end.
Repeat these 2 rows until you have 8 stitches left on needle 1 and 3.

Knit even on 35 stitches until the sock measures 3" from the base of the heel, then start the toe decrease.

Toe decrease:
K5, K2Tog, repeat to the end, then K one round even.
K4, K2tog, repeat to the end, then K one round even.
Continue in this manner until you K2tog around.

Cut yarn and fish through the remaining stitches and secure.

Now to tackle the rest of my leftovers before my KnitPicks order arrives.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

What pattern do you use? Baby and toddler socks are now on my mind thanks to you.

Linda said...

Thank you for sharing your pattern. I knit baby socks for a women shelter and a center for teenager mom. God bless you!

Liz said...

Linda, that is great! I'm so glad this was helpful for you. I'm sure a lot of moms and babies owe you thanks.

Yarns of Hope said...

Liz, great pattern - exactly like one I used when I took a pattern with Cookie A. several years ago. By the way, I am going to be teaching a beginning sock class myself in a few weeks and wondered if you would mind if I used your baby sock pattern? I will download copies individually if that would help you keep track of how many people have downloaded your pattern. Thank you, Gina Hammack